Saturday, September 20, 2008

DCML Explained - Part 9: Just a sec, I'm TXTing



Oh darling, sweet sweet Jacob, this is truly a great date! I wish you'd hold my hand. But alas, your fingers seem to be attached to your number pad on the cellphone.

You text or talk to people on the phone at least half the time we're out

Naturally one would thing it's polite when going on a date to put your phone on vibrate, silent, or even power it off. Unfortunately my date, Jacob (yes, his name is changed) didn't think so.

His excuse was that he provides for his family... his 8 or so other brothers and sisters, and helps out his parents. Anyone of them could be contacting him for an emergency, an emergency every other minute. I'd hate to live in a household with a crisis that frequently. Something can't be right there.

However, yes, because when there is a 9-1-1 call, I don't call up the operator. I text. It's probably something like this

"Hey, mrder in my house. Can u help plz? Call mom. Thnx. Ttys BBL"

Come to think of it, if you did have a murderer in your house it might be "safer" to text 9-1-1 than to call. Yes, apparently it is already an option in play (thanks niehjd).

But back to the story, so this guy I'm out on a date with keeps texting people non-stop. Granted, I'll text, too. But not every other minute! I don't think Jacob even noticed that I had stopped talking and just starred of into the distance after awhile.

To me, this is just straightforward rudeness.

So gents, ladies, a combo of both... respect your potential love interest and silence your phone or at least provide an emergency number so those people who text you to help with the creepy murderer in their house will get immediate assistance.

Yes, however, I am aware of the chance Jacob was entirely bored of me and just texting away until the date is over. I almost rather him leave out of the bathroom window, if that was the case.

But then in today's growing technology, Superman doesn't need a signal in the sky. A simple text message would do.

No comments: